TRIO Upward Bound is the oldest TRIO Program, celebrating over 50 years, and is a highly successful college based curriculum of rigorous academic instruction, individualized tutoring, career, academic, financial and personal counseling.
During the academic year, TRIO Upward Bound participants receive academic instruction, counseling, tutoring, and follow-up meetings on the campus of WVU Tech. The TRIO Upward Bound Program staff and the in-school Follow Up Teachers follow the participants’ progress in high school and assist participants with college the application process and how to apply for financial aid.
During the summer component, TRIO Upward Bound participants live on the campus of WVU Tech for six weeks, and are involved in an academic study program with an emphasis on composition, literature, mathematics, science, and foreign language. Individual and group counseling is also an important element of the summer component.
The TRIO Upward Bound Program provides:
· Participants motivation to excel in high school and in a post secondary educational setting
· Free tutoring to all program participants in the target schools
· ACT and SAT fee waivers to program participants
· A summer component to develop personal and academic potential during the months of June and July, at no cost to the participant
· An out-of-state trip for summer program participants who maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or better
· Stipends of up to $65 per month during the school year and up to $60 per month for program participants attending and completing the summer component on the campus of WVU Tech.